Friday, March 11, 2011

Around the Globe with KRIS SEDERSTEN

Well, like so many of my authors do when I come to interview them, they just step in and take over my transporter's controls and assume command. This week, Kris Sedersten even took over some of the narrative and, hey, give me back the keyboard-

Stephen and I are meeting at the fabulous Stanley Hotel in Estes Park Colorado. We are here to enjoy the amazing view and check out the haunted history of this beautiful establishment. There is some awesome mojo in this place. We may take a ghost tour while we are here. I’m hungry for Chinese food so I think that’s what we’ll have while we visit.

All right, but you could have waited until the summer to come to Colorado. Anyway, on with the questions.

1. Who is Kris Sedersten and what makes you the most fascinating person in your city?

My city is actually a very small town of 900ish people. Believe it or not, there are a number of citizens who are more colorful than I am so I don’t think I’m hardly the most fascinating person in town. I enjoy spending time with friends and family above all else. My husband and I have three grown children and eight amazing grandchildren. I am a budding paranormal investigator so I guess that makes me a ghost hunting grammie, and that’s a lot of fun. I recently founded a paranormal investigation group called Synergy Paranormal Investigations so we’ll see where that leads. So fun!

2. Without revealing a deep dark secret, what one thing would people be surprised to learn about you?

Many people would be surprised at my passion for the paranormal. I’m a really down to earth person, generally speaking. Many people were surprised to learn that I write fiction, also. Not a lot of colleagues in the Health Care field do either of those things! Isn’t it wonderful that we all enjoy different passions in life?

3. What interested you to become a writer rather than something else such as becoming a nuclear scientist?

Actually I am a Registered Nurse and a Licensed Nursing Home Administrator, so I was much more inspired to enter the helping professions before I was inspired to become a writer. Writing was more of a hobby I tripped over later in life. It was an incidental journal entry that became the catalyst for writing fiction. I found that I love the creative process and now I am quite addicted to writing.

4. Writers are readers. Which author(s) would you enjoy sharing dinner? Why?

Stephen King would be my first choice because he is the master of horror and I love horror stories. Mr. King could join us here at the Stanley Hotel which is where he was inspired to write The Shining. Kathy Reichs could also join us because I love the TV show Bones!

5. If you were stranded on a deserted island (or suffering a 4 hour layover at the airport, why would your books be great company?

Mojo is a fast paced paranormal thriller that would keep you engaged until the bitter end. The twists and turns keep you guessing. You may not want to read it too close to dark, especially on the deserted island since you would be very much alone! You might have to sleep with the tiki torch on afterward! lol

6. Share the Sedersten process of writing in regards to idea and character development, story outline, research, writing schedule, editing and number of rewrites.

I start out with the general plot and character ideas which I put into an outline. I often wonder why I bother to do that, however, because the story tends to write itself and it goes where it goes in the end. The end product may slightly resemble what I had in mind to begin with but sometimes only slightly. I write everyday for at least one hour. When I am in the creative process I can honestly write for ten to twelve hours at a time if the world lets me. I get obsessive about getting the story down on paper and it’s hard for me to stop until that is done. I’m learning to edit more as I go to decrease the number of rewrites. Until recently I haven’t edited much during the first draft. I just want to let the ideas free flow and get them down on paper. I do most of my research on the internet or other books on the topic of interest.

7. I think I have a good idea for a story but I don’t know where or how to begin. Your process may not work for me. Any advice.

My best advice is to just start writing. You will never get your story to go anywhere if you don’t start somewhere! I suggest writing while the ideas are fresh and exciting. In some areas there are writing groups that can be a big help to authors. That is not the case where I live. I would also suggest working with an editor to help you figure out your strengths and weaknesses. That can definitely help you become a better writer. That’s not to say you want an editor who fixes everything for you or essentially “ghostwrites” for you. The good ones won’t do that, but they will challenge you and help you to grow as a writer by teaching you more about the craft and developing your own style.

8. I saw an amazing T-shirt the other day which read, “Every great idea I have gets me in trouble.” What is your philosophy of life.

Phil 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!

9. Please tell me you’re not going to stop writing? What’s next for you?

I am working on the second installation of the Mojo series. It is in the process of being edited as we speak. It is called “Lost Mojo” and I hope it will be out by the end of the year. I have the third book also on the way. I’m nearly finished with the first draft of that one. I’m very inspired to write a book of true ghost stories also with my new found interest in paranormal investigating. There are a lot of truly fascinating tale of unexplained phenomena out there just waiting to be told! I’ve started putting a few ideas together there as well.

10. Where can people find more information on you and your projects?

Well, you can Google me to find information about ezine articles and book reviews from genre bloggers etc. I have some articles published about paranormal experiences and paranormal investigating on www.goarticles.com and www.americanchronicl.com ezines. My website is http://www.krissedersten.com. Please feel free to stop by anytime and leave a comment or a good ghost story!

1 comment:

Anne R. Allen said...

Great interview. You're doing an awesome thing for your fellow writers with interviews like this. As you said on my blog, it's all about the networking. Thanks for stopping by.